Download/Print Our Stewardship Matters Brochure (PDF Format)
Background in Stewardship Practices:
- Local church pastor for over 30 years, dependent on the tithes and offerings of God’s people for the weekly mission and ministry of the church. Developed a love and appreciation for healthy financial stewardship.
- In retirement sine 2013 initiated “Stewardship Matters of Virginia LLC and been consulting with 20 local churches, providing workshops on financial stewardship topics, having “conversations” with ehurch leaders, writing and posting articles, preaching and teaching.
- Acquainted with the pastoral issues of ‘never enough money’ / mission / finance committees / budgeting / financial reports / congregational aversion to saying anything about money…all of which bring anxiety into a church.
- Aware that all churches and pastors need help to get a new message across that focuses on abundance not scarcity; generosity, not law; hope, not fear.
- As a local church pastor, I was engaged in four capital funds campaigns and numerous stewardship campaigns.
- District Stewardship Chair in two districts and leading stewardship workshops for lay/clergy training.
- Completed the 2-day Planned Giving School, sponsored by the UM General
- In March 2014 completed the Planned Giving Institute at the University of Richmond, School of Philanthropy, a 36 hour intensive seminar.
- Very familiar with Chris Christopher, author of “Not Your Parent’s Offering Plate” and “Whose Offering Is It?” and “Rich Church, Poor Church”. Attended four seminars taught by him. Teaching: the church has lost ground to the numerous non-profit and other good entities that know better how to ask for money and how to say ‘thank you!’ We must do better or die!”
- Attended Academy of Faith and Money, March 2014, Lakeland, Fla., also taught by Clif Christopher along with Michael Reeves of Horizon’s Stewardship.
- Attended (in 1990) the GBOD “Stewardship University”, a four-day experience with national UM leaders focused on local church stewardship practices. Teaching: ‘we don’t have because we don’t ask, or don’t ask well’.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Virginia UM Foundation, for nine years. Teaching: "the church’s investment funds are God’s money and should be invested wisely so that such funds do not depend on activities that are not in keeping with biblical principles.”
- Resource leader for six “Consecration Sunday” campaigns in churches other than my own; used this in my own churches four other times. Teaching: ‘the question is, “What is God asking me/us to do in our giving, not what is the budget and what is my part?”
- Have reviewed and carefully studied numerous other stewardship programs such as Treasure; First: Extravagant Generosity; Enough; Earn-Save-Give; and Giving; Treasures of the Transformed Life and others.
- Have taught Financial Peace University (Dave Ramsey) and Freed-Up Financial Living (Good Sense Movement) as biblically-based programs on how to handle money God’s way.
LEARN MORE ABOUT ME: VISIT OUR FAQ PAGE
Disclaimer: While I am a pastor, now retired, with a love for God and for Christ’s Holy Church, I am not an attorney nor a professional certified financial advisor, nor a professional fund-raiser. If I were, most churches could not afford me. What I bring is years of experience as a local church pastor, greater than average reading and education in these matters, and a desire is to help churches develop faithful and generous stewards and for Christians to be better money managers.